I contributed the following article to Naturally Happy Hair Magazine about my favorite oils. Please support by subscribing to the magazine!! You won’t be disappointed!
- Peppermint oil is full of nutrients, which is the basis for a healthy scalp. When my scalp is itchy (especially when I have extensions), this oil cools my scalp and calms the itch.
- Almond oil is high in protein, nourishes hair, and smoothes hair cuticles to control shedding.
- Coconut oil’s molecules are small enough to penetrate into the hair shaft. I use a small amount every so often to add shine to my tresses but I use it more so as a pre-poo to finger detangle prior to shampooing.
- Jojoba oil is the closest to the oils our scalp naturally secretes. It can eliminate frizz and combat dry, brittle hair. (I even use this daily on my face.)
- Rosemary oil relieves dry scalps and eliminates dryness, which is essential for length retention.
- Castor oil thickens hair, promotes hair growth, prevents thinning, moisturizes, helps reduce split ends, and helps to tame frizz. This oil is thick, so I tend to only place it on my fingertips and then massage it onto my thinner sections of hair.
Many naturals have inquired about where I purchase my oils. There is no one store that has everything I like, but you can find many of the oils above at Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, Amazon.com, and from fellow naturals http://www.sisterskeeper.biz/ and http://lacebeauty.bigcartel.com/.
What are some of yours!?
^^You know who is an editorial contributor for the NHH team 😉